Hi!

My name is Mellie, and I love Sydney. Actually, I would go as far as saying I am IN LOVE with Sydney!!! You see, I moved here from Brisbane just over a year ago to be with my wonderful boyfriend Chris, and to try out a new career path. As a newby in this big city I didn't really know the funky places to eat and drink, or where to find the best shopping, or all the different activities that Sydney has to offer. But over the last year I am making an effort to try and find them one by one!!! I have now made some great friends who I go on cultural outings and pay day drinks with, I go on delicious dinners and Sunday adventures with Chris, and spend Mellie time investigating secret walking tracks. Everytime I go somewhere new I think to myself, I wish someone had told me about this place. With this blog, I hope to share the places I go with you so you can fall inlove with this amazing city too!!! enjoy...







Monday 18 July 2011

Little bit of Luxe in Newtown

I really love Newtown, but to be completely honest I never feel like I fit in when I go there - I just don't think I am cool enough!  The Newtown locals always look so effortlessly cool, that whole alternative, yet hip modern look that I love, yet can never pull off!! It is because of this inferiority complex that I don't spend too much time investigating all that Newtown has to offer and usually only try new places when I go to meet friends. However, on Saturday Chris and I came across this yummy little bakery all on our own. This gorgeous little bakery/espresso bar is called Luxe - and I really like it!

It gives off quite a different vibe than most places in Newtown and reminded more of a cafe you would find in Darlinghurst, but the one thing that made it very Newtown was that it also was effortlessly cool! As soon as you walk in you are meet by super friendly wait staff, shelves of freshly baked bread and other treats (must say yes to Belgium chocolate chewy!) and the smell of deliciously brewed coffee. The ambiance is very simple with an industrial feel, a big chalk board wall menu, long share tables and exposed beams - which is very Mellie!


The menu was also very simple, and the dishes are limited but they try to cover their bases with an option for everyone. Breakfast is served until 2, which would be perfect for a sleepy (and maybe a little bit dusty) Sunday morning, but we opted for lunch. I loved everything on the menu but couldn't go past the linguini with ricotta and preserved lemons. Chris did struggle a little bit and thought everything was just a bit girlie for him but did settle on the wagyu melt. He was even more disappointed when he couldn't get a coke but rather an a-la-natural cola nut soft drink - but he ended up loving it, so a happy ending for all. He even took quite a liking to my linguini, and as per usual, he had scoffed down most of mine before I could even make a start. I like to think of Chris as my personal Tony Ferguson, stopping me from over eating! Thanks Chris.....

 

I look forward to going for breakfast next time, I have already picked a spot on that big share table to read the Sunday paper...

No comments:

Post a Comment